Chef Abe’s North Park: Favorites from local Chef of West Coast Tavern
Chef Abe Botello leads the helm at West Coast Tavern & The Observatory, a locals favorite in North Park. With Taste of North Park coming up on October 15th, we thought this is the perfect time to ask Chef Abe about his top picks. Read on and your tastebuds will thank you!
1) Where do you like to grab a bite on a busy day in North Park?
Underbelly, Urban Solace, Waypoint Public
2) What do you love about the vibe in North Park?
It’s a casual community. We keep the laid back feel to it. Great neighborhood to walk around, dine and shop.
3) What are your thoughts on North Park’s evolving culinary scene?
I think we have a good scene going, lots of talented chefs coming together to make North Park a culinary destination.
4) Where do you like to grab a beer after work?
West Coast tavern, Safe House, Coin-Op Game Room
5) What are you most excited about that’s happening at West Coast Tavern?
I think our music lineup for the fall is great.
6) If you could have “your last meal” in North Park, what would it be?
I would stop by Tacos Perla for some hand pressed tortilla tacos, adovada tacos and aguas frescas
7) Top picks at the North Park Thursday Market:
Suzies Farm, Smit Farms, Valdivia Farms
8) What was the best part about getting to work with Chef Matt Gordon at Urban Solace back in the day?
He showed me the ropes and taught me how to be a disciplined and responsible chef; he helped develop me into the seasoned Chef I have become and paved the way for what I have accomplished.
9) Food/cocktail (or Food/beer) pairing you’re craving now:
Seared Hamachi Tostadas. Chipotle-Hibiscus Glaze. Fava Bean Puree. Cotija Cheese. Paired with a “Sheere Khan” cocktail, tequila reposado, apricot, orgeat, firewater bitters, lemon
10) Before a show at The Observatory, your must-try dish:
Grilled NY Steak, with shallot puree, grilled asparagus, or Chicken & Spinach Mac and Cheese with goat cheese and bacon
You can meet Chef for yourself by visiting West Coast Tavern (2895 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92104) and following him on Instagram, @chefabebotello or @westcoasttavern. Check Out the North Park Farmers Market every Thursday from 3PM to 7:30PM.